The Calligaris Story
Founded by Antonio Calligaris in 1923 in Manzano, about fifteen kilometres from Udine, it is at the beginning a small artisan carpentry that produces chairs, in particular the "Marocca", a typical straw chair of the area, with its wooden frame and caned seat, a typical product for the area that would later become known as the “chair district”. The cut and assembly of the wooden parts was mainly entrusted to the men, while the caning was carried out by women who went to the customers' homes and, in roughly two hours, were able to complete one chair.
After the war, with Manzano becoming the centre of the Friuli district for the production of chairs, Calligaris was transformed into an industrial company specialising in the production of chairs.
The company continues to produce only chairs (1500 a day) until 1985.
By 2000 the company offers 650 models of furniture, about fifteen years later there are 800 catalog products available in 7 thousand versions.